Tuesday

Message in a name

I remember when we were expecting our daughter; we gone to great lengths in finding a name. I ordered a baby name book from the USA and my husband and I made lengthy lists of names we liked.  In the end ,we made a shortlist, and my husband had the privilege to choose a name.
I can understand the importance of a name and the significance of the meaning, but I always wondered about genealogies in the bible. It is so boring to read and usually doesn’t make any sense at all.
That was until I made an amazing discovery.
The gospel is locked up in the names of the patriarchs!
Adam  - Man
Seth  -  Appointed
Enosh  - Mortal
Kenan – Sorrow
Mahalel – the blessed God
Jared – shall come down
Enoch – teaching
Methuselah – his death shall bring
Lamech – the despairing
Noah – rest, comfort
When this is read in a sentence, we see:  Man appointed mortal sorrow, the blessed God shall come down, teaching, his death shall bring the despairing rest or comfort.
God even used their names to proclaim the Gospel of Grace – Good news!
The next time you see a genealogy in the bible know that God can use anything to convey His message of hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment